This talk show was not experienced by most Gen-Xers or anyone younger, Merv Griffin. The name, “Merv Griffin” has always been familiar, because was also the creator of the Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy game shows. During the late 60s through the early 1980s, the Merv Griffin program had many noteworthy guests.
Here are a few noteworthy episodes.
- Episode 1 - Phyllis Diller and Norman Rockwell both appear in this collection episode.
- Episode 3 - Artists Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali - Two unusual and famous artistic figures in one program.
- Episode 10 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a talkshow environment was refreshing. We often hear Dr. King features in his famous speeches. This program has a special sample of him speaking naturally in normal eloquent conversation.
- Episode 18 - Ronald Regan, Lucille Ball, Desi Arnez Jr, and Bob Hope fill a huge list of notable people in this compliation episode.
- Episode 24 - Merv interviews and entertains with Mel Brooks, Rob Reiner, Penny Marshall, Gene Wilder, and Rob Reiner, this special episode which also features their tennis match and a group tour of Venice.
Each episode is filled with interesting conversations that provide a look back to moments three to five decades ago.